You set a default payment method and determine the one that will automatically be charged when an order is placed or an installment is due on an order.
We require that you choose two default payment methods on your account:
- Down payments: This payment method will be used for the first payment due when you place an order. Only debit or credit cards can be used for the first installment of any order.
- Scheduled payments: This payment method will be used for all subsequent payments after the first installment is paid. Bank accounts, debit cards, and credit cards can be the default payment method for scheduled payments; however, cards may incur a convenience fee. Learn more about convenience fees and how to avoid them here.
Prepaid cards cannot be set as a default payment method - learn more about how prepaid cards can be used here.
How do I set or change default payment methods?
- Log into the Sezzle app or your Sezzle dashboard.
- Navigate to the "Account" tab.
- Click on "Payment Methods."
- Select "+ Add card" if you haven't yet added one to your Sezzle account.
- Once you've typed in your card details, check the box below that says, "Make default payment method for first payments."
- At this point, you can assign the same card as the default payment method for "Scheduled payments" or add a bank account or another card. Just enter the details for your payment method and check the box that says "Make default payment method for scheduled payments."
I changed my default payment method, but my old one was still charged.
In all instances, adding a payment method does not automatically update outstanding installments. If you’d like all unpaid installments to be charged to your new payment method, you must set it as the default method after you add it to your account. To update your default payment method, simply go to Payment Methods, select the payment method in question, and choose "Set as default."
Please make all changes to the default payment method at least 48 hours before the payment is scheduled. Changes made within 48 hours of the payment due date may not take effect.