Sezzle is committed to financially empowering shoppers by supporting responsible spending. Therefore, our automated system does not approve 100% of orders. It is possible that your order may be declined, even if the order amount is less than your estimated spending limit, as Sezzle considers a variety of factors during the approval process. In addition to your individual spending limit, there may be specific merchant order limitations as well.
Please note: Every purchase attempt and approval is completely automated and the Sezzle Support Team is unable to manually approve any orders or increase spending limits.
Things to consider:
If you are having trouble getting approved, please review the common decline reasons below along with some recommendations that may help.
Common Decline Reasons:
- Insufficient Credit Limit: Declined due to the order amount being above your available spending limit.
- Recommendation: Lower the amount of your order.
- Account Information: Declined based on the information provided.
- Recommendation: Verify that your account was created correctly. Please ensure all account information is correct, such as your birthdate or the spelling of your name, and reattempt the order or try a different payment method.
- Learn more about updating account information here.
- Failed Payment: Declined due to one or more failed payments.
- Recommendation: Double-check your payment method. Please ensure there are sufficient funds on your first installment debit/credit card to place an order. Learn more about adding payment methods here.
- Recommendation: Review any failed payments. If you have a failed payment on your account, you won't be able to place new orders until it's paid off. Learn more about resolving failed payments here.
- Once all installments for all orders are marked as “paid,” you will be able to place new orders with Sezzle.
- Unpaid Orders: Declined due to one or more unpaid orders.
- Recommendation: Pay off outstanding installments. It may help to pay off any existing, unpaid order(s) for a specific merchant before attempting to place a new purchase with that merchant.
- Learn more about paying off installments early here.
Why was my Virtual Card declined?
If you are having trouble placing an order using your Sezzle Virtual Card, there are a couple of additional reasons why this could be happening.
- The default payment method associated with your Sezzle Virtual Card is being declined by your bank.
- Recommendation: Reach out to your bank directly for more information.
- Listed above are some common decline reasons and recommendations for each
- Recommendation: Review recommendations listed above along with text/email notifications for additional details
Join Sezzle Up!
Another option to consider for better visibility to your spending limit is to enroll in Sezzle Up. Sezzle Up will give you a limit boost, access to view your limit, the ability to shop with exclusive in-app merchants, and the opportunity to build your credit through monthly credit reporting. Here are a couple of requirements:
- Available for U.S. shoppers only.
- Must have one order that has been completely paid off.
For more information, please visit our Sezzle Up page here.