Sezzle is committed to financially empowering shoppers by supporting responsible spending. Therefore, our automated system does not approve 100% of orders. It is possible that your order may be declined, even if the order amount is less than your estimated spending limit, as Sezzle considers a variety of factors during the approval process. In addition to your individual spending limit, there may be specific merchant order limitations as well.
Please note: Every purchase attempt and approval is completely automated and the Sezzle Support Team is unable to manually approve any orders or increase spending limits.
Things to consider:
If you are having trouble getting approved, please review the common decline reasons below along with some recommendations that may help.
Common Decline Reasons:
- Insufficient Credit Limit: Declined due to the order amount being above your available spending limit.
- Recommendation: Lower the amount of your order.
- Account Information: Declined based on the information provided.
- Recommendation: Verify that your account was created correctly. Please ensure all account information is correct, such as your birthdate or the spelling of your name, and reattempt the order or try a different payment method.
- Learn more about updating account information here.
- Failed Payment: Declined due to one or more failed payments.
- Recommendation: Double-check your payment method. Please ensure there are sufficient funds on your first installment debit/credit card to place an order. Learn more about adding payment methods here.
- Recommendation: Review any failed payments. If you have a failed payment on your account, you won't be able to place new orders until it's paid off. Learn more about resolving failed payments here.
- Once all installments for all orders are marked as “paid,” you will be able to place new orders with Sezzle.
- New User Decline: Declined due to placing a second order within 25 hours of your first order.
- Recommendation: Wait 25 hours after placing your first order and try again.
- New users can only place 1 order but will be able to make new orders once that new user limit period is over.
- Minimum Order Amount: minimum order amount required was not met. The minimum order amount is at least $35 (including tax and all other fees) for all Sezzle purchases but could be more based on a minimum order amount set by the merchant.
- Recommendation: In order to place an order through Sezzle, you will need to increase the amount being spent at that merchant by adding a few more items and attempting the transaction again. If you are not able to add more items or increase the dollar amount or your transaction, you will need to use a different method of payment.
- Unpaid Orders: Declined due to one or more unpaid orders.
- Recommendation: Pay off outstanding installments. It may help to pay off any existing, unpaid order(s) for a specific merchant before attempting to place a new purchase with that merchant.
- Learn more about paying off installments early here.
- Rescheduled Payments: Declined due to one or more rescheduled payments on your account.
- Recommendation: Review all upcoming payments. If you have any rescheduled payments on your account, you won't be able to place new orders until they are all paid off. To pay an installment, log into your account in your app, or at dashboard.sezzle.com, and navigate to the active orders in which you have rescheduled payments.
- Please note, paying off these installments with a bank account may take a few days to process before your account will be open for making future purchases.
Why was my Virtual Card declined?
If you are having trouble placing an order using your Sezzle Virtual Card, there are a couple of additional reasons why this could be happening.
- The default payment method associated with your Sezzle Virtual Card is being declined by your bank.
- Recommendation: Reach out to your bank directly for more information.
- Listed above are some common decline reasons and recommendations for each
- Recommendation: Review recommendations listed above along with text/email notifications for additional details
Join Sezzle Up!
Another option to consider for better visibility to your spending limit is to enroll in Sezzle Up. Sezzle Up will give you access to view your limit, and the opportunity to build your credit through monthly credit reporting. Here are a couple of requirements:
- Available for U.S. shoppers only.
- Must have one order that has been completely paid off.
For more information, please visit our Sezzle Up page here.