First thing’s first, if your Sezzle Virtual Card* is being declined, we need to make sure you are shopping with one of our eligible merchants! You should be able to view which retailers are currently accepting the Sezzle Virtual Card in your Sezzle app under the “Sezzle Card” tab. You may not be able to use the Virtual Card with all merchants listed in our store directory, but that’s ok! You can easily shop with other Sezzle merchants by selecting Sezzle at checkout on their website.
Here at Sezzle, we’re all about financial empowerment. We don’t want to dig ourselves into debt and we don’t want you to either! This is why we let you know how much you can spend right away when you are issued your Sezzle Virtual Card. If you attempt to make a purchase that is above your limit or your available spending power, the order will be declined. Our automated approval system reviews a number of factors before assigning your limit: how long you've been a Sezzle shopper, the information you provided when you signed up (which includes a soft credit check), and your Sezzle order history. Because our system is entirely automated, it is not something we are able to override, but there are a few things you may be able to do to increase your chances of being approved!
Join Sezzle Up!
- Once you have completely paid off an order and you are in the U.S. you should be able to sign If you are a U.S. shopper who has completely paid off an order, you should be able to sign up for an upgraded account with Sezzle Up!
- Joining Sezzle Up is easy. You should see the following when you log into your Sezzle dashboard. Simply click “join now” to get started.
- Sezzle Up will give you a limit boost, access to view your full Sezzle limit (not just your Virtual Card spending power), the ability to shop with exclusive in-app merchants, and the opportunity to build your credit through monthly credit reporting.
Lower the amount of your order
- Start small!
- First-time shoppers are often approved for initial purchases of around $50-$100.
- As you use Sezzle and successfully pay off purchases on time, we're usually able to approve larger orders.
Verify your account was created correctly
- Make sure all of your account information is accurate. For example, entering the wrong birthdate or misspelling your name can cause you to be declined for orders. Learn more about updating account information here.
Double-check your payment method
- If you don't have a payment method tied to your account, or we aren't able to charge it (if it’s expired or there aren't enough funds available), you won't be able to place any new orders. Learn more about adding payment methods here.
Check for failed payments, or pay off outstanding installments
- If you have a failed payment on your account, you won't be able to place new orders until it's paid off. Learn more about failed payments here.
- If you have existing unpaid orders, they may also prevent you from being able to place a new order. Paying off existing orders in full may increase your chances of being approved for a new order. Learn more about paying off installments early here.
*The Sezzle Virtual Card is only available for shoppers located in the U.S. and U.S Territories.