First and foremost, if your Sezzle Virtual Card is being declined, we need to make sure you are shopping with one of our eligible merchants! You should be able to view which retailers are currently accepting your virtual card as a payment method in-store and online in your Sezzle app under the “Sezzle Card” tab. You may not be able to use this card with merchants listed in our store directory. To shop with other Sezzle merchants, you will need to check out through the merchant's website, selecting Sezzle as the payment option.
Sezzle is all about financial empowerment - not helping our users dig themselves into debt. This is why when you are issued your Sezzle Virtual Card, we let you know your limit right away! If you attempt to make a purchase that is above your available spending power, the order will be declined. When we assign this limit, our automatic system reviews how long you've been a Sezzle shopper, the information you provided at sign up (the soft credit check), any order history with Sezzle, among a few other factors. This is an entirely automatic system and is not something we are able to override. It's totally normal to start out with a smaller limit and work your way up to being able to Sezzle large orders.
However, there are a few things you might be able to do to get an order approved and increase your spending power!
Join Sezzle Up!
- Once you have completely paid off an order and you are in the U.S. you should be able to sign up for an upgraded account with Sezzle Up!
- Signing up with Sezzle Up will give you a limit boost, access to exclusive in-app merchants, and the ability to see your Sezzle limit.
- Joining Sezzle Up is easy. You should see instructions on how to join Sezzle Up on your Sezzle dashboard, including the requirement of having one order paid off.
- This will give you access to your limit along with a boost, access to exclusive in-app merchants, and the possibility to build your credit with Sezzle!
Lower the amount of your order
- Start small!
- First-time shoppers are often approved for purchases around $50-$200 initially.
- As you use Sezzle and successfully pay off orders on time, we're usually able to approve larger orders.
Verify your account was created correctly
- Make sure all of your account information is accurate - for example, entering the wrong birth date or misspelling your name can cause you to be allotted a smaller spending limit. Learn more about updating account information here.
Double-check your payment method
- If you don't have a payment method tied to your account, or we aren't able to charge it (because it's expired or there aren't enough funds available), you won't be able to place any new orders. Learn more about adding payment methods here.
Check for failed payments, or pay off outstanding installments
- If you have a failed payment on your account, you won't be able to place new orders until it's paid off. In addition, if you have any previously failed payments that are now processing, you may need to wait until the payment is fully paid off in your Sezzle account to place a new order. Learn more about failed payments here.
- If you have existing unpaid orders, this may also prevent you from being able to place a new order as they are taking up some of your spending power. Paying off existing orders entirely will increase the amount of spending power you have available for your next purchase. Learn more about paying off installments early here.
*The Sezzle Virtual Card is only available for shoppers located in the U.S. and U.S Territories.